Sunday, April 8, 2007

The Sights of Melbourne

For Saturday activities, Kerry offered to show me around the city. I met her at the Melbourne Museum, which had some very nice exhibits, and then we went to lunch. After lunch, we walked down to the National Gallery. There was this really neat wall that was kind of a sheet of water, and we discovered that the buildings behind it were actually made of legos! There were kids there making new buildings when we walked through.

DSC01163

After looking through the museum a little bit, we went back to Federation Square in search of drinks. This is a very striking area - neat architecture and a large outdoor sitting area. The International Comedy Festival is in Melbourne right now, so we sat and watched a little outdoor show before continuing on our way. Apparently, the design of Federation Square was quite controversial when it was built, but I quite liked it.

DSC01145

We went to the ANZAC Memorial and walked through the beautiful Botanic Gardens before catching a tram out to St Kilda, which was absolutely lovely.

DSC01176

There weren't a whole lot of people about, but the area was kind of like Little Five in Atlanta - lots of neat little stores and interesting restaurants. We had dinner at one and then browsed through a bookshop before having some excellent dessert at a nearby bakery. One the way back to the tram, we stopped at Luna Park for what Kerry said was a classic St Kilda picture!

DSC01186

I might have nightmares about that giant illuminated head!

We went back to my hostel and then Kerry went on her way, but not before getting the guy at the desk to take a quick picture!

DSC01187

After that, I went straight to bed - I had an early flight to Brisbane to catch this morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a fantastic day too - it's always really nice being able to show someone around - I get to the city the city through fresh eyes.
All the very best with your ownward travels! {{hug}}

Kerry

PS: I spent Sunday afternoon reading a book at the Botanic Gardens - just as I promised myself!

Anonymous said...

Oops that should be 'see the city'. What a bizarre typo!

K :)

Anonymous said...

We just missed you in Melbourne!