Thursday, April 12, 2007

Visiting Kuranda via SkyRail

Kuranda is a small mountain town near Cairns - its main attraction is that you can get there via a scenic railway trip or by a 7.5 km long cable car ride. When I booked my tour, I learned that the railway wasn't working because of a landslide, so I opted to take the cable car instead.

Here's the view from the car going up:

DSC01273

It stopped twice - once you had to get off and switch to a new car and the other was so you could walk through the rainforest if you wanted to. It was a really neat way to travel - so quiet you could hear the birds and so high you were looking down on the trees.

Kuranda has several things to do - I visited a "Venom Zoo" that had some of the most poisonous snakes and spiders in the world, traveled around through the shops, and stopped at the Butterfly Sanctuary. The had a large greenhouse filled with plants and butterflies, and it was pretty cool. I've never really been a huge fan of butterflies, but our guide was and she told us all about them.

DSC01283

I wandered around a bit more and then took the cable car back down. By now, the weather had turned to rain and it was extremely cloudy and foggy. This time it was a little freaky riding the car down!

DSC01302

Still really cool though!

I headed back into town and then spent the evening tracking down dinner and repacking my stuff. I also found something to do for today, which I'll explain in my next post.

No comments: