Sunday, April 1, 2007

Skirting Alice Springs on the way to Uluru

I flew into Alice Springs today, hopped into my rental car, and got on the road to Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock. Since the airport was on the south side of town, I managed to see absolutely none of Alice Springs! I'll be back to see it on Wednesday though, so no big deal.

Flying over the landscape was really awesome. It was like nothing I have ever seen before - I am going to try to look on Google Earth later to see if I can find some good pictures.

Driving was really strange. I saw about 15 cars in the first hour! It felt so deserted. I guess I am not cut out to live way out in the country (much less the bush/outback). The landscape was really interesting - trees here and there, lots of red earth, a few cows. I'm on an internet kiosk right now, so no pics at the moment, but hopefully later. The most surprising thing has been the bugs - they are everywhere! Worse than anywhere I've ever been before.

My room tonight is like a barracks - at least 20 girls will be sleeping in there. Should be interesting! Tomorrow I'll head out to see Ayers Rock or The Olgas, the other cool geological formation around here. I should have some good pics after that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a long drive from Alice to Uluru! Especially on your own.

I hope you get to see the Rock at sunrise or sunset.

Anonymous said...

Wow - reading your posts about Australia makes me wish I could have gone too! Maybe next year i'll have to find a good deal where I can go there and spend a bit of time in NZ as well.

Can't wait for the photos!