Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lots o' driving and a huge block of ice!

We're in another campsite tonight. We got up very early (the alarm started going off at 4!) and left Susan's at 5 AM, headed for Fox Glacier. We drove for about 7 hours before arriving. It was a rough morning, and suddenly all the signs New Zealand has everywhere about not driving while tired weren't quite as funny anymore! (Examples: Drink/Drive/Don't be stupid. STOP! and Take a Power Nap. Drowsy drivers are dead drivers!) Some of them are very unintentionally funny, but not so much when I seriously wanted my own power nap this morning.) In any case, we arrived at the glacier without incident, although it did start raining again on the way down. Hopefully it will be nice and clear tomorrow for the rest of the drive - I really want to see the Southern Alps in all their glory.

The campsite we're at is somewhat rural and has internet kiosks instead of wireless, so I can't upload pictures, and there's no way I can do justice to today without posting pictures, so I'll wait to describe it. In short, we walked a very long way up and down a mountain and then out onto the glacier for a bit. It was an unforgettable experience, and when I post pics tomorrow, you'll see what I mean. :)

(Susan - we had a great time at your house! Thanks again! We tried to stop in Makorora, but the weather and the dark wouldn't let us get all the way there - we're in Haast instead. Definitely going to have a good look around as we pass through it tomorrow!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the pictures. And hey take a power nap if you get sleepy (you have a bed with you after all) :)

marg

Anonymous said...

http://www.badongo.com/pic/520782

Bethpowell said...

Christy - will you please let Rebecca know that Frances Anne and I will pick her up from the airport? I need her flight information. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Stel here.

Ha ha. Silly girls! I meant Makarora for the next night, ie Thursday, not for Wednesday after the glacier hike. It never occured to me that you would try to drive further after the hike, considering the time you left here! I just assumed you would want to spend at least one night on the coast, 'specially after missing Punakaiki etc. I can't believe all the gorgeous scenery you must have driven by and not been tempted to stop at least for photos! *shakes head*

Hey, it was great to see you two. Thanks for fitting me into your itinerary. I'm sorry that my travel tips weren't very useful after all, or at least not very well timed!

Safe journey back up to ChCh :)